Just a quick catch up here - changing direction.

Just a quick catch up here.

I’ve decided to take the blog in a new direction. Where it started as a way for me to walk down memory lane, it’s now going to be me documenting my journey from cancer patient back to (masters) bike racer.


I’ll still recount some stories here and there but, 

I’ll also be documenting training, racing, and life as I fight to get fit and fast again.


So, with that said, I’ve been training since late last August using the stellar Trainer Road app. They prescribe the workouts using power data and the app directs you through it. I’m really loving it and, while it’s hard work, it has really taken the guess work out of training.


I’m feeling pretty good. My blood work is nowhere near normal with respect to clotting and white blood cells but, it probably won’t be again until I go off my maintenance medication. And that’s not supposed to happen until 2020 sometime. But, I feel a hell of a lot better than when I was in full blown chemo so I’m thankful for that.


I’ve fallen back into the rhythms and routines of being an athlete, albeit while juggling a full time job and being a family man. I train at 5am before work on the trainer in the basement on Tuesday and Thursday, and then Saturdays I climb on the trainer while the kids are napping. It works because it frees up my wife to get out of the house to do what she wants, and I get that longer weekend workout in. Sundays I either ride outdoors for a few hours or we go skate ski in the mountains. We DO live in CO after all.


I had my body fat checked a few weeks ago and came in at 13%. That’s down from 15% last August. So just with the addition of the Trainer Road workouts, and without having focused on nutrition, I’ve lost body fat. Starting this month I’ve been working a bit harder on the food stuff. My goal is to be at 10% body fat by the first race of the year in mid-March. I figure, since I’m returning to racing as a cat. 4, I don’t need to be super lean.


I worry a bit that given the state of my health, it might be a strain on my body to lose weight while training. I probably should ask someone.

Finally, I got a new frame! My poor old Giant TCR Advanced developed some unusual sensations in the front end that didn’t seem good. My new team – Full Send Racing – has a shop sponsor that got me a Trek Emonda ALR for a good deal. I’ll do the build on it this weekend and start riding it next week.


Thanks for reading! 

Comments

Popular Posts