Finally got that pack finish I've been looking for!



Hey gang,

I figured it was time to catch up with y’all.

Since I last wrote I raced a criterium that’s an old favorite of mine. I finally got my pack finish!

My legs were great and I felt like I was floating the whole race. I stayed in the top 5 or 10 riders and tried to stay out of the wind for the entire race. Really just played it conservatively to try and save my legs and get to the line in the group.  However, I got a bit over excited and ended up following attacks and accelerations in the final laps. While this didn’t get me dropped, it sure made it hard to stay near the field sprint!

Looking at the power data from the race, it’s obvious that I start to get in trouble when I have to do sustained efforts above 300 watts, and REALLY in trouble at the end of races and we’re touching on 400 or more watts. 

Just as getting my first pack finish was more of a function of time and my fitness coming along with training, I’m figuring my difficulty at the end of races is also a function of time and getting more races under my belt will help.

I’m racing again this coming Sunday, the first weekend in May, after a 2 week break from racing. Training hasn’t been ideal but it hasn’t been junk either. Balancing family life, work, and riding has been a bit of a chore. But, I’m choosing to put this burden on myself so I can’t complain!


Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular Posts