Top 5 again. I was hoping for more.

After my last race where I was 4th, I had an easy week or 2 as I was tired and then life kinda got in the way. So, once things got sorted I put in a solid 10day (or so) training block to get ready for racing this past weekend. I have to admit, I was feeling a bit cocky after the last race and felt that I should try to podium or even win the next race. And during my training these past weeks I’ve started to feel pretty spry and fit. So I headed into yesterday with some goals beyond just finishing. After my last race the officials told me if I made it on the podium they’d automatically upgrade me to cat. 3. I had it in mind to try to get that.

It was cool here, mid 50’s and overcast. I don’t mind the cold and dressed appropriately. Had an espresso before the race and headed out for a bit of warmup. The course was perfect for me. A wide open, L shaped course with a very slight rise every lap and a long finishing stretch. It was the kind of finish where you’re temped to start your sprint when you see the banner but there’s a long way to go. It would be best to hesitate a little and stay in the wheels as long as possible before sprinting. Positioning would be key.



 We started fairly gently and it became obvious early in the race that there wasn’t going to be a breakaway. The guys seemed content to stay together until the finish. So, I sat vigilantly in the first 10 riders and spun my legs. About a third of the way thru the race there was a prime. Not cash, it’s master’s cat 4 racing after all, and I wanted to have a go at the sprint as practice for what the finish might be like. I won the prime after going a bit long and then went back to the field to recover (which took longer than I thought).


At 5 laps to go the guys started riding a bit more aggressively and one of the teams started putting together a lead out. Despite being a low category these guys appeared to know what they were doing and they’ve been strong in the last few races. I wanted them to make it fast and hold the field together so I made sure I didn’t get in the way fighting for wheels and let them do their thing. I worked and I was in great position on the last lap. It was fast but manageable and the fast pace meant there wasn’t much fighting for wheels. I swung out of the last turn in 3rd and geared up for sitting on the wheels as long as possible while also looking for the sprint to come from behind. And come from behind it did. I had to step on the gas before I wanted to but was holding third until maybe 100 meters to go when 2 guys rocketed past me.



 So, 5th place and a prime. We’ll take it. When I decided to come back to racing last year I just wanted to be able to finish races. I never imagined being able to be competitive on a consistent basis. As such I’m pretty happy to place again.


I’m moving to Phoenix AZ with my family at the end of July and my season will be over at that point as the season down there sort of ends in May. I’ve got to make this last month and a half count.

Comments

Popular Posts