Brief update on training and life!

Hello friends, it's been far too long!

I spent the last half of the summer and early fall job hunting and riding my bike. We bought a new house and closed on Sept. 12th! It's awesome and was a huge job to move in. Fortunately, I was unemployed and had the time to run kids around to swim lessons, school, soccer, and still ride my bike a little.

I finally landed a job around the middle of October. It was a relief because I could lay off the constant applying and interviewing for jobs. I was getting tired of answering all the same questions over and over again. It also allowed me to put in a huge block of training in the weeks leading up to starting the new gig.

I had several 400 TSS weeks in a row (which is big for me!). I then rested a week or two as I started at my new company and then got started on my power build phase for next season. And the fitness bump from all the good training was evident. Where last year the build workouts were killing me and I was unable to complete them all, this year I'm working hard but the workouts are doable. And I recover enough to to my normal Tues/Thurs/Sat schedule.

I'm excited to explore the racing here in Arizona next season. It's my understanding that things get underway in January and go through April or May. It's then too hot to hold races after that. I've timed my training to be ready for racing in January and just coming in to form in February. While I'm trying not to have any expectations, I'd like to build upon where I left off last season and maybe be able to upgrade to category 3. It's a long way from where I left cycling (as a cat. 1) when I stopped but, given my age and having fought (and hopefully beaten) cancer last year, I'll take it!


Comments

Popular Posts