Race number 2. Same venue, completely different race.

Avondale, AZ.

(Not me. The guy on the inside, #992, is my team mate who lapped the field.)



This past Sunday was race number 2 at this venue. After having a so-so race the week before I was hoping to roll the dice in the sprint and have a little luck. Unfortunately, my legs had other plans and come race day, they felt terrible. I was wiped out after the previous week's race and didn't really train that week. I rode easy on the days I was supposed to Trainer Road workouts, and skipped my normal 2 days of gym work. My nervous system was fried from the violent effort that is the first race of the year. 

There were fewer riders this week, and in the first half of the first lap, a team mate of mine had attacked. Another team mate and I rolled up to the front to see what would happen. While not actively blocking, we were doing our best to not encourage any chasing too. A few riders got across to my team mate and the whole thing came back together briefly before he accelerated again, not even attacked, and rode away. 4 riders got across and that was the race. 

I was holding on for dear life every time there were attacks and actually felt in trouble a few times. Finally the race settled down a little and my legs started coming around a little too. My remaining team mate and I, very seasoned former pro 1/2 guys, realized the break was going to lap us and, seeing that another break was not likely to go, we went to the back to wait for the break to catch us. It was clear they were debating on whether or not to get back in the pack but, finally they did. We picked up our team mate and took him back to the front. He was very strong and continued to work in the wind when necessary. We did our best to keep him out of trouble. With 3 or 4 to go we got ourselves together into the lead out train with me leading. I worked us up near the front in the following laps. At 2 to go it was clear we needed to be closer to the front and I moved us up a little. The next guy in the train was doing a great job communicating. Finally at one to go, I put my nose in the wind and committed to us takinig charge. I rode as hard as I could for half the lap and then swung off. The next guy came thru and dropped off our final guy after exiting the last turn. Not a good sprinter, he got himself in to 3rd (of 5). 

While I was upset that I had not gotten a little fitness bump from the previous weeks race, I was happy to be able to do some team work and get something out of a race where I would have just sat in in other circumstances. I'm off for 2 weeks and intend to put in some training and really nail the nutrition. Then I'm back at it on the 9th for another criterium. And finally, the big objective of the early part of the year will be the following week at the Valley of the Sun Stage Race. 

This Friday, the 31st, is my "Cancer-versary." It marks 2 years since I was diagnosed. I've come a long way physically, and am gradually shaking off the psychological and emotional effects too. 

I'm happy to be racing again!

Find me on Instagam: hugh_maceachran

Comments

Popular Posts